Saturday, May 29, 2010

Toronto's First Post Office

As part of Doors Open Toronto, I went to visit Toronto’s first post office.
Wait. Let me start again.
I had been looking forward to this weekend since I heard about it a couple weeks ago. Over 150 buildings in the city open to the public, for free. This Thursday the Toronto Star had a pull-out guide in it, which I managed to appropriate from a coffee shop. I went through the list, and highlighted the places in my area (accessible by bike) that interested me. On the back page, near the end, this one in particular really interested me:

Toronto’s First Post Office
260 Adelaide Street East

Only operational post office pre-1851. Write a letter with a quill pen, seal it with wax and mail it from the same post office that served citizens from 1833 to 1839.


I think I started hyperventilating I was so excited. And then later when I read it to my mum on the phone, I think I started crying (just a little) I was just so excited. In revealing this, my mother started giggling and saying, “You’re such a neeeeeerd. You’re such a neeeerrrddd!”
Yes, mother. If loving mail this much makes me a nerd, then by golly I am. (Also, I just said “by golly”.)
So I went there today and ended up spending almost two hours writing letters, mailing them, and talking with the excellent staff. I wrote with a feather quill and ink, folded up the piece of paper as an envelope, and then even got to hand stamp (“Franking”) them myself. It- was- AMAZING.
They are open seven days a week, and you better believe that I’ll be going back there. Usually they’re quite quiet on weekends, and I think I want to start sending all of my mail from there, just so I can always hand stamp it. Also, I love the idea of travelling out of my way just to send some mail. Like they used to. The effort seems to make it all the more special and personal. “I worked hard to get this to you.” That kind of thing.

Here’s some information if you’re in the area and interested:

http://www.townofyork.com/service.html

2 comments:

  1. I shall be writing to you soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will write to you, and I BEG you to mail me back from the First Post Office! I look forward to checking it out one day myself, because I, too, am a neeeeerrrrrrd about these things.

    ReplyDelete