Friday, July 3, 2009

More Chalk Graffiti (and blisters)

So my epic journey began tonight walking a friend home. We started out in my neighbourhood of Spadina and Bloor, walked south on Spadina to College, then east on College. At Jarvis we cut across the Allen Gardens, and continued east on Gerrard. We parted ways at Parliament, because my feet were starting to be sore and I still had to walk home. This whole time I kept making her stop so I could write this web address on random flat surfaces.
I then made the trek home, via north on Parliament and then west on Wellesley, again, stopping sporadically to chalk things up.

Now I'm finally back at home with my feet up and giving my blisters a rest before I attack Kensington Market tomorrow.

Hope to hear from you soon!

2 comments:

  1. I was reading The Art and Science of Negotiation after cycling 35km through out the trails in the various areas of the Don Valley. This was outside Starbucks in Cabbagetown. When suddenly a woman slowly, cautiously, wearing what seemingly is a frequently malfunctioning invisibility field, edged to the wall near me and scratched in something with her light blue chalk.

    She then retraced her step back into the darkness.

    After getting a bit more of my reading done, I took a digital photo of the URL she wrote and went home. The next day, today, I looked it up.

    It seems to me to be a project that is an interaction between the woman and "single serving" pen pals.

    I tried to learn mono-line calligraphy to be honest, and I would certainly love to share the pleasure of writing to and receiving writings from. So I certainly hope that this woman's project is successful, and that she finds the happiness she searches for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always wonder what people think when they see me put up this website in public--either with chalk or on a post-it. (Interesting to note that I'm seen as a woman, though...) I find it almost performance art-esque, as people watch me do it, then read it when I've left or am done, and then don't say anything to me even though I can feel they want to ask questions. If ever you see me doing this, please: ask questions.

    ReplyDelete